Welcome to my blog!

Thanks so much for stopping by! I believe that everyone can have a beautiful home without spending a fortune! One of my favorite things to do is find creative ways to re-purpose things I already have on hand, or have picked up at yard sales and thrift stores. Join me as I share with you some of my favorite ideas for crafting and decorating, as well as travel adventures, and fun things that I pick up on my treasure hunts! Much of my work is influenced by my love all things French, nature, and of course shabby chic! I have gotten so many creative ideas from you very talented bloggers out there, and I hope that I can be an inspiration to you as well!

Saturday, April 24, 2010

Cute Bird and Nest Decoupaged Plaque

Hello and happy Saturday!

Today I wanted to share with you a fun project that I made using a sweet bird image that I found on TheGraphicsFairy.com.  She has the most amazing vintage images that she so graciously shares each day!  I love birds and nests and eggs, so when I found this sweet one I was so excited!  If you have never been to her site, be sure & check it out!

First off, I had my hubby cut a 5 1/2" x 8" piece of 1/4" plywood from a big sheet that we have.  One of these days I need to get my nerve up & learn how to use his table saw, so I don't have to ask him each time I want something cut! (even though he is more than willing!)  I then sanded the entire piece, including the edges.  I primed & painted one side with a creamy white interior latex paint, but you could use craft paint if you want. You don't have to paint both sides, because the front will be covered in paper.  I then used one of my very favorite products, Ralph Lauren's faux glaze, in "smoke".  So many of you bloggers out there use it, that I just had to give it a try.  It is so easy to use!  Just brush (I use a foam brush) or wipe on with a rag, then wipe off with a rag.  I have used it for so many projects (I bought mine at Home Depot).  All it takes is a little bit, so your can will go a long way!

Once the back was dry, I was ready for the fun part!  I began by decoupaging a few pages from a vintage French book.  I just love the look of French text, and use it in so many projects!  Our local library has a monthly used book sale, and I find some really great books there for my crafting.  You can't beat $1.00 for a book!  Once the decoupage was dry, I added the cute bird that I printed out, and some scrapbook paper that I cut in a scallop on one side.  I added 2 tan colored photo corners to the top, just for some added detail.  I also added a cute tiny bird image from The Graphics Fairy, and the word "nest" that I printed on the computer.  I sprinkled a bit of Martha Stewart's clear glitter over it all while the decoupage was still wet.  I love glitter!  I applied a couple more coats of decoupage, Mod Podge, to be exact, letting it dry between coats.  Another one of my favorite products that I used, that I first heard about in blog land is "Rub n Buff".  I like "antique gold" the best.  You only need to use a teensy, tiny bit!  And be sure to wear disposable gloves!  I applied it to the edges of the plaque.  Then I used my handy dandy dremel tool to drill a small hole in the upper corners.  I used some fine gauge bronzy colored craft wire for a hanger.  As a final touch, I added 3 pretty vintage glass buttons along the bottom, using E-6000 glue.  If you have never worked with this glue, it is really strong!  And also really stinky, so be sure to work in a well ventilated area!

I am really happy with how the plaque turned out!  One of the best things was that I already had all of the products on hand for this project, too!

I am linking up to Brag Monday over at the Graphics Fairy.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello Donna, thanks for stopping by my blog! The flowers are easy to make, if you go back two posts to Photoshop brushes you will see a tutorial for how I made them. I make several different kinds of flowers from paper, my newest one, are tea bag roses, made from tea bag. I'll try and work on a tutorial for those.

Debbiedoos said...

Hi Donna your plaque turned out adorable. You made it look so easy too. Thanks for stopping over at my post!~

Karen The Graphics Fairy said...

This is such a beautiful plaque Donna!! What a great tutorial too! I'm so glad you linked this lovely project up for "Brag Monday".

Cindy Adkins said...

Wow, Donna--this is fantastic--and wonderful adorable results! A beautiful project, indeed!
Hugs,
Cindy
www.recoveryartist.com

PetraB said...

This is just darling, thank you for sharing the project.

Wendy Aspinall said...

Cute project, love the idea.