Welcome to my blog!

Thanks so much for stopping by! I believe that everyone can have a beautiful home without spending a fortune! One of my favorite things to do is find creative ways to re-purpose things I already have on hand, or have picked up at yard sales and thrift stores. Join me as I share with you some of my favorite ideas for crafting and decorating, as well as travel adventures, and fun things that I pick up on my treasure hunts! Much of my work is influenced by my love all things French, nature, and of course shabby chic! I have gotten so many creative ideas from you very talented bloggers out there, and I hope that I can be an inspiration to you as well!

Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Mirror Chalkboard Combo Project

Hello ladies!
Hope you all are having a great week!  It's a soggy day here in the Pacific Northwest, a perfect day for playing in my workroom, and sipping a cup of hot cocoa!
Since I've been on a chalkboard kick lately, I thought I would share my latest transformation with you.

I found this vintage piece and an estate sale recently.  Of course, it didn't look anything like this when I discovered it in a dark and dusty corner!

But, I'll wait til the end to show you what she began life as!!  First off, I added this pretty wooden fleur de lis to give it a Frenchy feel.  I then painted it my favorite cream, and distressed it to give it that time worn appeal.
As this is a vintage frame, it features lots of nicks and little dents, which I think makes it even more shabbyliscious!
And guess what???! This chalkboard is hiding a secret!
It is also a mirror!  That was hubby's idea (I was impressed that he came up with it himself!).  To the back side of the mirror, I added chalkboard vinyl.  So, just remove the wooden backing, flip the chalkboard over, and viola!!  Two looks in one!
Ok, are you ready to see the "before"????  This photo nowhere near captures just how "icky" it was when I discovered it.  Covered in dust and dirt, it looked as if it had never, ever been cleaned!  I told hubby that I bet no one else at that sale would've been willing to buy it!!
Now that she's been given a new lease on life, she is residing in my Etsy shop, if you care to take a peek!
I think she is much happier now, don't you think??

Linking up with Faded Charm for White Wednesday 
Boogieboard Cottage Masterpiece Monday

17 comments:

NanaDiana said...

MUCHO better, Donna. I love the way it looks and great idea with the mirror...even if HE DID think of it! xo Diana

The Bear's Blog said...

Oh Miss Donna,

It's "bee-u-tee-ful", you are amazing and your creativity is endless. Who would have EVER thought of doing that? WOW.

"Mirror, mirror on the wall, who's the prettiest teddy bear of all?" Giggle. Or, message on the chalkboard - "buy honey". (o:

Hugs,
Prudence

You are amazing!!!!

Musings from Kim K. said...

Much happier. Love the transformation. Thinking of you on this soggy day in West MI too.

Blondie's Journal said...

What a very clever idea...the mirror and the chalkboard! You really prettied this piece up! :)

XO,
Jane

Shabby chic Sandy said...

I love it white:)

Rosemary@villabarnes said...

Let's hear it for hubby! Great idea, and well executed. Love it.

Susan EvelynAndRose said...

Heirloom White and a smart hubby come to the rescue of that great find!
Wonderful job Donna! Now it could use some glitter...hee hee.

Lisa ~Suburban Retreat~ said...

Bravo Hubby ... brilliant idea!

Anonymous said...

Wow, yea, what a difference, what is chalkboard vinyl?

Nancy said...

Chalkboard vinyl, oh my. Glad I'm visiting around. I had no idea that was a thing. Good job.

Cindy Adkins said...

Oh wow, this is beautiful, Donna!!! I love your project!!!
XO
Cindy

Myric said...

It is so beautiful and I love the idea that it is dual purpose! Don't you love it when hubby suggests how to better your decor!? I do! I re-purposed something you are going to like ;)

BTW, I am going to follow you again. it seems I wasn't notified about your latest posts.

xoxo
Myric

Myric said...

I just saw you were featured in Feathered nest friday! Congratulations!!!

Xoxo
Myric

Chris Arlington said...

You have a good eye for hidden treasure. What you transformed this frame into is fantastiv

Chris Arlington said...

You have a good eye for hidden treasure. What you transformed this frame into is fantastiv

Susie said...

Love your new chalkboard. You have a good eye for picking it out. Hope you are well, smiles to you, Susie(She Junks)

john said...

You've done a fabulous job as usual !!! looks great ! thanks for the comment...will try bee balm..but I do wish we had humming birds you lucky girl !! Gail x